Overall Distributors Down Slightly; Retail Sales per Direct Seller Up 2.7 Percent
On August 18, the Direct Selling Association (DSA) released its long-anticipated industry survey figures, showing a slight increase in sales numbers coupled with a slight decrease in number of distributors over 2009.
Here are a few noteworthy insights that are of interest from the survey:
- More full-timers: Direct Sellers who state they work on their business full time are up from 7.5% in 2009 to 8.9% in 2010.
- Auto ship strategies declined sharply, to 2008 levels.
- Appealing more to men? The percentage of males entering the field are up (18.2%), while females are slightly down (81.8%).
- Trending up: Home & Family Care, Wellness, Services, Clothing & Accessories, Party Plans
- A bit flat: Personal Care, Leisure & Educational, Person-to-Person